The kitchen in the phenomenal shaker style is, above all, the embodiment of simplicity itself. The combination of traditional design and the highest quality workmanship with functionality makes shaker-style kitchen cabinets dazzling with their charm despite the lack of decorations. Where did this style come from in modern apartments? What is it characterized by and how to recreate it in a modern version of shaker style in your interior? Here are some tips and ideas.
Where does shaker style come from?
The roots of the Shaker style date back to the 18th century America. It was then that Ann Lee formed a religious Protestant group called the United Society of Believers of the Second Coming of Christ. So where did the name “shaker” come from? It comes from their specific behavior during services, consisting of trembling, shouting, dancing and speaking in non-existent languages.
The followers of this religious group lived in a very ascetic and simple way. They were completely celibate. They aspired to be a self-sufficient community, so furniture production soon began. The furniture they created was simple and light, devoid of decorative elements, with distinctive fronts that became the hallmark of the entire style. Their design and the characteristic appearance of the furniture quickly gained popularity. The furniture produced by the Shakers has also become interested in the non-member community, and their original style has become known all over the world and is used for even the most modern arrangements and interior design experiments.
Shaker kitchen – what is it?
According to the concept of the shaker style:
- the kitchen is not only a room for preparing meals, but above all it becomes a place where the whole family meets.
- The shaker kitchen is practical but also cozy.
- These kitchens are distinguished by a balanced composition of cabinets, raw aesthetics and fronts in the form of a smooth panel decorated with rectangular, delicate millings. Such a structure is durable and of course practical, and the lack of decorations adds to its charm and lightness. Thanks to its appearance, the shaker style will be perfect for apartments where traditional arrangements prevail, but also the most fashionable interior design trends.
Shaker style or modern?
Shaker style and a bit of modernity will be perfect. The latest trends harmoniously combine classics with modernity, and the shaker kitchen is an offer for people who love the combination of classics and novelties from the world of interior design. Shaker-style lends itself to modern kitchens, as the clean lines and minimalism are both considered popular in current interior designs. Remember that the shaker style is primarily functionality in a modern arrangement. Modern kitchens in the discussed shaker style will certainly appeal to people who like modern minimalism, and those who are looking for proven solutions for their home.
Why shaker style cabinets?
Shaker-style cabinets are decoration in itself and do not require extraordinary aesthetic treatments. In addition, due to their minimalist appearance, they allow you to freely choose kitchen accessories and equipment. If you focus on the simple overtones of the interior and minimalism, when thinking about the selection of decorative kitchen accessories, it is best to keep decorations to a minimum. It is enough to choose decorative handles in an interesting style, colorful stools or an eye-catching faucet. The furniture can be combined with a variety of boho, classic or rustic accessories that will give the kitchen a cozy atmosphere. The character of the interior can be added with various items that will not overwhelm the interior – decorative lamps, photo frames, vases with fresh flowers. .
What handles go best with shaker cabinets?
The most timeless hardware/ shaker kitchen cabinets color is brass metal, but take into account the color of your shaker cabinet. Warmer toned cabinets go better with gold, black or bronze hardware. While a cool tone shaker may be better paired with silver, black, or steel. Simple, metal knobs, d-handles or cup handles will go best with cupboards in shaker style :
Shaker kitchen – the colors
The most on-trend colours right now for this type of kitchen are Ivory(Cashmere), Light Grey (Pebble), Green and Blue/Navy.
- As a warm neutral colour a cashmere kitchen can be accessorized with a variety of colours, even adding touches of white and grey in accessories if you want to. Cashmere can look great with bright colours and you could consider orange, green and even blue for updating your kitchen necessities like toaster and kettle.
- Light Grey/Pebble tone combines the warmth of cream with the versatility of grey. It creats a modern neutrality that is easy to style for a variety of looks. It can be paired with white and a wooden surface for a more traditional, country cottage feel.
- Green and Blue shades are ideal to be paired with gold cupboard handles.
Shaker kitchen lighting
A shaker-style kitchen should be bright and spacious as a rule, because its characteristic feature is uncovered windows with the sun’s rays. In addition, bright furniture fronts and subdued colors of the walls intensify this effect. In this type of arrangement, natural light from large windows will be the best.
Since lighting plays a huge role in the shaker kitchen, you also need to remember about appropriate artificial lighting, especially during evening cooking or in poorly sunny, darker kitchens. Then it is best to choose light bulbs with an exceptionally warm color, which will make the austere arrangements look cosier. Lamps with aged light bulbs, lampshades with a modest frame, or minimalist sconces will work especially well. Properly selected lighting will certainly emphasize the characteristic qualities of furniture with unique shaker-type fronts.
How to clean shaker cabinets?
Shaker kitchen doors have a textured surface with grooves and ridges that can trap dirt, grease, and food particles. It could be difficult to clean, because dirt and grime can accumulate in these spaces, making it challenging to remove. Additionally, the surface texture can also make it hard to wipe down the doors with a cloth or sponge, as the grooves can hold onto the dirt and grime, leading to streaks or marks that are difficult to remove. However, with a little care and attention, they can be easily kept clean. Here are five tips for cleaning shaker kitchen cabinets:
- Use mild dish soap and warm water and clean cabinets weekly
Your cabinets always will look their best if you use mild dish soap and warm water to clean them every week. It will help to remove any build-up of grease or grime, and it will also help to prevent new stains from setting in. In addition, it is important to wipe up spills immediately, as this will help to prevent them from becoming hard-to-remove stains.
- Wipe down cabinets with a damp cloth after cooking
Over time, the moisture in the air can cause the wood to warp and the finish to peel. To keep your cabinets looking their best, wipe them down with a damp cloth after cooking or preparing meals.
- Use a wood cleaner or polish on cabinets every month. White or cashmere shaker cabinets are known for their simple, clean lines and timeless appeal. While they are easy to maintain, shaker cabinets in bright colors can show dirt and grime more easily than other finishes. To keep your cabinets looking their best, it is recommended to clean them with a wood cleaner or polish once a month.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners on cabinets. Harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners on cabinets can damage the finish.
- Use a degreaser or vinegar solution if grease or food residue builds up on cabinets
It is important to wipe up spills immediately, as this will help to prevent them from becoming hard-to-remove stains.
The best way to keep shaker cabinets clean is using a mild detergent and warm water. Wipe down the surface of the cabinets with a damp cloth, and then use a soft brush to remove any dirt or residue. You may need to use a stronger cleaning ( steam mop) , but make sure to test it in an inconspicuous area first. With regular cleaning, your kitchen cabinets will stay looking like new for years to come.
How to arrange other home rooms in the shaker style?
The shaker style can be introduced not only to the kitchen, but also to other home interiors, using the characteristic features of the style:
- walls in bright colors or wooden cladding, which will be an ideal base for the arrangement of the living room and bedroom.
- comfortable beds, preferably with linen bedding, as it is the main element of the Shaker style bedroom.
- wooden furniture with a matte finish and a noticeable structure.
- a large table in the central part of the dining room or kitchen is very important, which will easily accommodate the whole family.
- natural decorations such as patchwork blankets and bedspreads and woven baskets, so fashionable now, can be additions to the decor of the bedroom or living room. The perfect solution to bring your home decor to life will be the choice of fresh flowers. We are talking here not only about cut plants in vases, but also about potted flowers that will emphasize its natural atmosphere throughout the styling.